Monday 27 February 2012

other side of the world

Check it out. I'm almost officially on the other side of the world!


So it has been another super busy week, but we did find time to go to a soccer game and a cricket match!

The soccer game was played at AAMI stadium. It was the last qualifier for Australia and Saudi Arabia. The Saudis needed to win to clinch a spot in the next round.

AAMI stadium


ME!



It was a good game. Australia scored, then it was called back for offsides. SA scored. Then Australia scored. Then SA scored. 2-1 at half, Saudis lead. Then Australia scores to even it up, but NOOOOOO, off-sides again! SA almost scores to seal the win, but they miss. Then Australia comes back and gets 3 goals in 3 minutes to win 4-2. Great game.

Friday was also a national team match for Australia, this time it was in cricket. The Aussies had made it through on points to the finals but Sri Lanka needed to beat them to go through, where they would play Australia again for the cup. Don't ask me what cup. It wasn't a world cup, some other tournament. Anyways, we walk up to the Melbourne Cricket Grounds and we are told our gate is on the exact opposite side. So we walk around all of these empty gates to get to ours. There are probably 200 Sri Lankans coming and going out of this game because at this time its ~7pm. The match started at 2:20. Everybody is drunk. I guess thats what you do for 8 hours at a cricket match. So we push our way through and find our seats. This guy Andy we have been working with got us the tickets. We sat down net to his friend who just happened to be from Austin, TX. He moved here 9 months ago for work. Him, his wife and two kids. So that was cool. We got to complain about how everything isn't like it is in America. Here are some pics.



Well A pic. The rest are on my camera. I'll post them later.

So we learned some rules and I think I 70% understand cricket now. Mike started falling asleep so we left at ~9:30. There were 10 over left and the score was something to something else. Turns out it was actually close. I can never tell in an 8 hour game whether its close or not. We checked the next morning and Sri Lanka won by 9 runs! like 245 to 236. So this week they play each other 3 more times for the Cup.

Oh here is a picture of the guys I am down here with. Arif, my manager on my right, Mike, other engineer, on my left.



If Arif looks especially happy its because he just made $30 playing roulette at lunch. Don't know if I mentioned that. Australians LOVE to GAMBLE. There is an entire fox sports channel dedicated to race betting. Every other bar has horse races on in the other room. As Arif says 'we bet on anything that moves'. OHHHHH Australia... I'll never figure you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment